- British Medical Journal
- Goes back to 1 January 1994
- Search engine
- includes both articles and "rapid responses"
- allows picking which other journals to seach
- probably included in MEDLINE [check that] but it only goes back to 1996
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention Home Page
- Center for Occupational & Environmental Health, Johns Hopkins
- Doctor's Guide to the Internet
- HardinMD: Hardin Meta Directory of Internet Health
- Health and Medical Newsgroups
- HealthWorld Online
- Hot-line Online
- Housecall Medical Resources, Inc.
- Karolinska Institutet - medical education and research
- MEDICALMATRIX 3.6.23: Guide to Internet Clinical Medicine
- MEDLINE: National Library of Medicine's "database of 11 million indexed journal citations and abstracts now covering nearly 4,500 journals published in the United States and more than 70 other countries." from What's the Difference between MEDLINE and PubMed?
To search MEDLINE use:
- PubMed - Entrez:
- PubMed, also from the NLM,
- provides Web access to
- over 11 million MEDLINE citations (back to 1966)
- additional life-science journals.
- links to many sites providing full text articles and other related resources.
- Entrez is a search engine that accesses PubMed and several other life-science databases at NCBI (National Center for Biotechnology Information, which includes both the National Library of Medicine and the National Institute of Health)
- See also PubMed Overview
- MEDLINE Search - HealthWorld Online: pay-per article pdf downloading of complete texts
- MEDLINEplus NLM's Health Information database, updated daily, contains
- Info from NIH & "other trusted sources" on over 500 diseases and conditions.
- lists of hospitals & physicians,
- a medical encyclopedia & dictionaries
- health info in Spanish
- info on prescription & nonprescription drugs,
- health info from the media
- links to thousands of clinical trials.
- NCQA (The National Committee for Quality Assurance) examines health maintenance organizations (HMOs) as well as health plans. Reports downloadable
- NIH Clinical Research Studies: Search Page
- OnHealth: Home Page
- On-line Medical Dictionary
- Performa Keyword Search of OncoLink
If searching the Web dismays you, you can also pay $50/hr to have a medical librarian at HealthWorld Online; see Cybrarian Research Service.
Other individuals researching unusual conditions
- Steven Shackel's site, on the neurodegenerative illness Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis (ALS) or Motor Neurone Disease (MND) (also called Lou Gehrig's Disease and Maladie de Charcote).There is much information here I find useful too.
Miscellaneous specific subjects
See also my pages...
13 November 2000