||Miscellaneous Supplements Links
(including herbs and other nutrients)
- I've read a few passing references to this pigment's improving liver enzyme funtion, and am looking for more specifics.
- Needed for bone anabolism
- L-arginine encourages viral infections like Herpes, which is treated with its antagonist L-lysine. (Nan Kathryn Fuchs, Women's Health Letter Vol. VI, No. 11, p.7.
- Boron impacts mineral metabolism as well as levels of certain hormones: boron supplementation can reduce the total plasma concentration of calcium and the urinary excretions of calcium and magnesium, and elevate the serum concentrations of 17 beta-estradiol and testosterone. (Nielsen FH, Hunt CD, Mullen LM, et al. Effect of dietary boron on mineral, estrogen, and testosterone metabolism in postmenopausal women. FASEB J 1987;1:394-397; cited at Boron: A Review of its Nutritional Interactions and Therapeutic Uses, by Gregory S. Kelly, N.D..)
- Unlikely that they tested progesterone levels.
- But perhaps it's increased, too:
"Nielsen hypothesized that boron might be required for the synthesis of steroid hormones as well as vitamin D. Because the biosynthesis of steroid hormones such as vitamin D, testosterone, and 17 beta-estradiol involves one or more hydroxylations and because of boron's ability as a lewis acid to complex with hydroxyl groups, he suggested that boron may facilitate the addition of hydroxyl groups to the steroid structures.It has also been suggested that boron may act in an unspecified manner to protect hormones from rapid inactivation. See Nielsen, above.)
- an extract from green-lipped mussels
- a natural COX-2 inhibitor
- contain eicosatetraenoic acids (ETAs) "which display more intense and targeted anti-inflammatory and antiarthritic activity than any other known omega- fatty acid." (Raffelock)
- I had a very unpleasant reaction to it.
- Needed for bone anabolism
- from SAMe?
- Research so far is interesting but not conclusive. It has been observed to inhibit both cox-2, a desireable action, and cox-1, which is needed for repair of stomach lining.
- Application Brief from Western Analytical Products, Inc. mentions "a much older history... as a constituent of primitive herbal folk medicine remedies for the treatment of lipid, inflammatory, and heart disorders
- VitaNet product (no manufacturer listed) made from polygonum cuspidatum, 200 mg
- Biovin product "Pycnongenols commonly called Oligomeric Proanthocyanidins (OPC's) found in grape seed extract are renowned for their superior antioxidant power and instant bioavailability for their antihistamine, anti-inflammatory and anti-elastase /collegenase properties."
Selenium / selenomethionine
- "selenomethionine" in AMALGAM - protective against Mercury but not a chelator?
(see directions for access)
- see also the anecdotal HypoT Recovery story (no references)
"Selenium is an essential potent anti-oxidant which protects the body from free-radical damage but it also has an important function in preventing mercury from damaging the body. Selenium and mercury combine together and the combination is eliminated from the body. Without selenium, mercury poisons the body. As my hair analysis showed, I was deficient in selenium and therefore the mercury which was released from the new fillings was not properly eliminated from my body. Mercury removal is a top priority of selenium and this caused a severe deficiency of the selenium. Selenium is essential for both the production of thyroid hormone and for the conversion of the T4 hormone that the thyroid makes into the T3 hormone that the cells use. My hypothyroidism was the direct result of a combination of too little selenium and too much mercury from dental amalgam fillings. This is why the hypothyroidism ended after I had the mercury removed from my body and I began supplementing with selenium."
- see also the anecdotal HypoT Recovery story :
"Zinc seems to promote more progesterone production, while copper stimulates estrogen production." (no detail, no references)
Other specific substances
- Artichoke Leaf for the liver: stimulates bile flow.
- Manganese antioxidant mineral, works to activate the enzyme superoxide dismutase. Can be helpful in persons with low blood sugars.
- Molybdenum is necessary for...
- "Sulfite oxidase catalyses the oxidation of sulfite to sulfate, necessary for metabolism of sulfur amino acids. Sulfite oxidase deficiency or absence leads to neurological symptoms and early death.
- Xanthine oxidase catalyses oxidative hydroxylation of purines and pyridines including conversion of hypoxanthine to xanthine and xanthine to uric acid.
- Aldehyde oxidase oxidises purines, pyrimidines, pteridines and involved in nicotinic acid metabolism. Low dietary Mo leads to low urinary and serum uric acid concentrations and excessive xanthine excretion [Turnlund et al., 1995.]"
- OLIVE LEAF EXTRACT
- Rosemary oil increases GSH
- Sulfur: SUPER SULFUR- MSM Base Mineral
- Thymic Protein A, Bio Pro Antioxidant And More
- Transfer Factor - a friend with EI found that this halved her chemical reactions.
- Vitamin B1: Biochemistry
- Vitamin B12
- See also my pages
copyright © 2000 by Catherine Holmes Clark. Last updated 15 November 2000