||Milk Thistle (Silybum marianum):
active ingredient, silymarin
Mechanisms and effects
- antioxidant/free radical scavenger especially in the liver
- increases production of glutathione, superoxide dismutase (SOD) and other antioxidants
- increases bile production
- inhibits lipoxygenase, preventing leukotrienes from attacking the liver
- stimulates the production of protein in the liver, resulting in growth of new cells to replace old or damaged ones
- prevention and treatment of liver damage caused by alcohol or toxic chemicals
- may also help reduce liver damage from acetaminophen.
- I took this for six years. After the first year there was a dramatic improvement in my general health; after six I suddenly started having a liver attack when I took it!
- Later I understood that I easily OD on glutathione: I don't metabolize it correctly, due to a genetic defect, and cysteine builds up in my system.
- Now I'm taking prescription glutathione in a very small dose, but it's expensive; I may try silymarin again -- cautiously!
For More Information
copyright © 2002 by Catherine Holmes Clark. Last updated 27 June 2002